They were sitting on the rooftop, the city lights stretching far and wide, blending into the night sky. The air was thick with words unspoken, and the usual chatter between them had turned into a fragile silence.
She broke it, finally. "Will it make any difference to your life if I am not there?"
He looked at her, caught off guard. It wasn’t just a casual question; it was one that could fracture the fragile line they had been treading. He hesitated, not because he didn’t know the answer, but because he didn’t know if he could say it right.
He had always been the one to joke, to laugh, to make things lighter. But tonight was different. He felt something shift inside him, a tremor that made his words feel heavy and uncertain.
He swallowed. "You are... the pause in my chaos. The reason I look forward to the end of a long day. You’re that one message I wait for, the one story I want to hear before I sleep."
She still didn’t turn to him, and he wondered if she was hiding tears or just processing his words.
A moment passed and she finally looked at him, eyes glistening, and he could feel the weight of her silence pressing on his heart. He wanted to tell her that he was afraid too, that sometimes he doubted whether his presence mattered to her."Do you know why I ask?" she whispered, almost afraid of his answer. "Because sometimes, I feel like I am just another chapter in your story, not the story itself."
He smiled faintly, reaching out to take her hand. "You’re not a chapter. You’re the pages. You hold everything together, even the messy parts. And I’m scared too. I’m scared of messing this up, of not being enough for you. But I know this—I wouldn’t be the same without you. You’re my story."
Her lips curved into a soft, unsure smile, the kind that didn’t quite reach her eyes but was trying. She squeezed his hand back, as if reassuring herself more than him.
They sat there, the night around them slowly settling into calm. There were no more questions left, just the quiet acceptance that love, messy and unpredictable as it was, didn’t always come wrapped in certainty.
Sometimes, love was just two people on a rooftop, holding on, unsure if it would make any difference—but desperately hoping it would.

No comments:
Post a Comment